Theses OREO balls are made with just 3 simple ingredients and are such an easy dessert recipe to make. Drizzle with chocolate or top with your favorite colored sprinkles for the perfect decorative treat!
Table of Contents
The Best Oreo Balls Recipe
I love to make all types of truffle recipes. They are so easy, decorative and are perfect for any occasion. These are a family favourite, as well as sugar cookie truffles, chocolate chip cookie dough truffles and brownie truffles.
These little treats have been around for years and are such an easy dessert to make around the holidays. My kids LOVE these OREO cake balls (as much as my cake pop recipe) and ask me to make them every year for Christmas dessert plates. They are so easy and delicious!
I love that this OREO balls recipe is so simple to make, yet they look fancy as if you got them from a local bakery! I’ll typically drizzle the tops with chocolate and top some of them with cookie crumbles. Sometimes I even add colored sprinkles too! They are perfect for any holiday and are so fun to decorate!
Just 3 ingredients
You read that right! These sweet treats only need 3 ingredients and come together in a flash.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- OREOs: As the backbone to these quick desserts, I crush half Oreo cookies with the filling and half without the filling to give them just the right amount of sweetness.
- Cream cheese: I love the tang cream cheese given these Oreo balls.
- Chocolate: I prefer using Ghirardelli melting wafers (white and milk chocolate) because they melt so easily, but choose whatever chocolate you like best for a smooth finish.
What is the Best Chocolate for Dipping?
It’s important to make sure you are starting with the right chocolate if you want a smooth finish on your OREO balls.
- Ghirardelli melting wafers – These are my personal favorite…you can melt them in a microwave safe bowl and they always have a smooth finish. They also taste delicious!
- Wilton candy melts – I love using these if I’m looking to use a certain colour. The red is perfect for the holidays.
- Almond bark – This is another great option.
- Cover chocolate – Chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa butter.
- Chocolate chips – If you’re desperate, you can use chocolate chips, but you won’t get the smooth finish, especially with white chocolate. But you could always add crushed nuts or crushed oreos to the top so that it’s not as noticeable.
How to Make OREO balls
These Oreo cream cheese balls are so easy to make and all you need is 3 simple ingredients: Oreos, cream cheese and chocolate. Just follow the tips below.
- Crush the oreos. The best way to crush oreos is to place them in a blender or food processor. You can also place them in a zip top bag and smash with a rolling pin.
- Mix together the oreo crumbs and cream cheese with a hand mixer. If it isn’t coming together, get your hands in there and mix it up.
- Scoop. Use a small cookie scoop to scoop out the dough. Then roll into a ball and place on the pan.
- Freeze for 10-15 minutes or until slightly firm. You don’t want them too cold.
- Dip in the melted chocolate.
How to Get a Smooth Finish
Here are my tips for getting a smooth finish on your OREO cream cheese balls:
- Have all your dipping supplies set out so that when you’re chocolate is melted, you are ready to go. The key is to move quickly!
- Make sure that your chocolate is melted and stirred until smooth. Click here for more tips and tricks for melting chocolate.
- Place your OREO cookie ball on a fork. Then dip into the chocolate or use a spoon to coat the ball.
- Gently tap the fork on the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate and create the smooth finish.
- Use a toothpick to help push the ball onto the parchment paper. Draw a line around the base of the ball with the toothpick if there is extra chocolate. The chocolate will break off easier once hardened.
These Oreo balls can easily be decorated for any holiday! You can use different colored melting wafers or use a white chocolate base with sprinkles on top. Just make sure to add the sprinkles right after dipping or else they won’t stick.
To make these Christmas Oreo balls I used white chocolate to dip and added red and green sprinkles with some holly berries. You could even add crushed candy canes to make peppermint oreo balls. So fun and festive!
Absolutely! They can be kept frozen for up to 2 months. You can make them ahead and bring them out when you need a sweet treat.
I would! They will last up to 1 week when stored in a covered container in the fridge. They can stay out as long as they’re on display on your dessert table but transfer any uneaten truffles to the fridge.
That depends on how you store them. They will keep at room temperature for a couple of days, but I do recommend keeping them in the fridge. They have less of a chance of melting.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to two months.
More Oreo Treats You’ll Love
↑ Click stars to rate now!
These OREO balls are made with just 3 simple ingredients and are such an easy dessert recipe to make. Drizzle with chocolate or top with your favorite colored sprinkles for the perfect decorative treat!
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a blender or food processor, pulse the Oreos (with filling) into fine crumbs. You can also place the Oreos in a zip-top bag and use a rolling pin to crush them.
In a large bowl, mix together the Oreo crumbs and cream cheese with an electric mixer. If it isn’t coming together, get your hands in there and mix it up.
Using a small cookie scoop, portion the dough onto the baking sheet. Roll into a ball with your hands. Freeze 10 to 15 minutes, or until slightly firm. You don’t want them too cold.
In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in-between each, until smooth.
Use a fork to dip the Oreo balls into the chocolate. Tap on the edge of the bowl to get the smooth finish. Use a toothpick to help slide the ball back onto the baking sheet. Before the chocolate hardens, add sprinkles. Light harden completely.
Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Calories: 98kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Dish: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 61mg | Potassium: 80mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 76IU | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 2mg
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!