This creamy Chicken Florentine is pure comfort food, perfect for days when you crave a good, warm meal.
This is a simple recipe to make but it has real gourmet appeal. Chicken breasts are simmered in a creamy wine sauce with tons of spinach.
Serve with potatoes, rice or pasta and a generous sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
What is Chicken Florentine?
This is a simple chicken Florentine recipe with a creamy white wine spinach sauce. In this recipe, cream cheese adds a rich flavor and thickens the sauce.
- This is an easy 30 minutes meal with a creamy wine sauce mixed and fresh spinach.
- This recipe requires only a few simple ingredients
- Easy yet elegant, it’s perfect for guests or as a weeknight dinner.
Ingredients in Chicken Florentine
Chicken – Use boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs. For quicker cooking, chicken cutlets work well in this recipe too.
Cream Sauce – The sauce for this dish does not require flour or making a roux, as the cream cheese helps to thicken it and add flavor. Heavy cream gives the sauce a velvety texture, while white wine adds depth of flavor.
Use dry white wine such as pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc. If you prefer not to use wine, you can substitute chicken broth instead.
Spinach – Use fresh baby spinach or regular spinach. Roughly chop the spinach if using larger leaves, it will be easier to eat. Other cooked vegetables can be added to the sauce, like cooked onions, broccoli, asparagus, or mushrooms.
Seasoning – The sauce is very simply seasoned with garlic, salt & black pepper. You can add other seasonings, including ½ teaspoon of dried oregano or a pinch of basil.
How to Make Chicken Florentine
- Cook chicken breasts in a skillet per the recipe below. Set aside.
- For the creamy spinach sauce, add white wine to the pan and let it reduce. Cook the spinach for a couple of minutes. Add cream cheese and cream and cook until thickened.
- Stir in the chicken along with any juices. and cook just until heated through. So easy.
This creamy chicken Florentine recipe is naturally low carb and keto friendly.
- Leftovers are one of the best things about Chicken Florentine, if you are lucky enough to have them, that is! This dish will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container. Slice chicken and add it with sauce to a homemade crepe for a tasty breakfast, or make a Chicken Florentine pizza or casserole!
- White sauce with dairy tends to separate when frozen, so it’s best to use it up rather than freeze it. But that shouldn’t be hard to do, since it’s so tasty, everyone will fight over who gets to have Chicken Florentine for lunch! Reheat on the stovetop with a little extra broth added in, for best results.
More Spinach Favorites
Creamy Chicken Florentine
Creamy chicken Florentine is pure comfort food. It’s a 30 minute dinner recipe with chicken breasts simmered in a creamy white wine sauce.
Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.
Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat and add the chicken breasts. Cook the breasts for 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked through and a light golden brown. Remove the chicken onto a plate.
In the same pan, add garlic and saute for a minute until fragrant. Add white wine to the pan and let it simmer and reduce for a few minutes. Stir the wine around so that any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan come off.
Add the spinach and cook until wilted while stirring occasionally. This will take about two minutes. Once the spinach has wilted, add cream cheese and heavy cream. Bring this to a gentle simmer, making sure that the cream cheese has completely melted and is mixed well.
Add the chicken breasts back to the pan, spoon the sauce over and simmer for a minute or two before turning off the heat. Serve hot.
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container. Since this is a cream sauce it will not freeze well.
Calories: 546 | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 51g | Dish: 34g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 239mg | Sodium: 979mg | Potassium: 1045mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 3245IU | Vitamin C: 9.6mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 1.6mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.